Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Jaundice



I think most of you have known that my baby boy has been admitted to PPUKM for severe jaudice. It is shocking since his SB reading is 457 which is already above the limit.

We notice that his eyes are yellowish but somehow, his skin is so reddish. So i thought that maybe he is having jaundice but minimal reading. We went to Pantai Cheras for baby follow up and somehow referred to PPUKM since their equipment is better.

The doctor explains to us in detail the reading and the option that we have. For SB reading above 428, they will go for blood transmission since there are too many red blood cells dying and it is not properly move through the digestive track.

So, baby and I were taken blood sample to be sent over to the Blood Bank. While waiting for Blood Bank respond, the baby was put under triple phototherapy.

When we were admitted, it was already 4pm and we have to wait until next day for Blood Bank to come back on the status. However, the SB reading has dropped to 359 by then. Hence, doctor concluded no blood transmission should be done. What a huge relief to me and the family members.

I of course am giving as much breast milk as I could. I only pump after I fed him and also making sure he is up every 2 hours for feeding. Based on study done, 60 to 70% jaundice happen to boys. I think because baby boy demand more milk than baby girl. Both my boys had jaundice. Aqeel was admitted to but his reading is not as high Aydin. Maybe because Aydin weight more than his brother.

However, we were discharged after 2 days stay and I must say it is such a horrible experience. Mom can only sleep at the ward at nights. There are room given to mom but it is quite far for moms who had just delivered. We have to eat, rest and go to toilet prepared in the room. 

Here are some read up about jaundice

1 comment:

  1. Ko ok kak? Next week aku dtg yk..kt cheras kan? Sorry trbz lately krm slm bdk2..

    ReplyDelete